High Energy Physics - Experimental particle physics, dark matter, cosmology, ATLAS experiment, CERN laboratory, Higgs boson, structure of the universe, Neutrino Physics.
High Energy Physics (Data Analysis) - Grid Computing, B physics, Computational Data Analysis, Data Acquisition Systems, Terabyte datasets.
Instrumentation - Particle Physics Detectors, Positron Emmission Topography (PET), X-ray detector systems, Synchrotron detector systems, Silicon Strip Detectors.
Australian Academy of Science (Fellow)
Australian Institute of Physics
International Union of Pure and Applied Physics
Asia-Pacific High Energy Physics Panel
Asian Committee for Future Accelerators (Deputy Chair)
Top 6 Career Best Publications
1. Aad, G. … G. N. Taylor, et al., [ATLAS Collaboration], ‘Observation of a New Particle in the Search for the Standard Model Higgs Boson with the ATLAS Detector at the LHC’, Physics Letters B 716 (2012) 1-29 [Link]
- One of the most important discoveries in recent decades, the long awaited Higgs boson was a crowning result of decades of development in which I played such an important role. This result heralds the beginning of a new era of probing experiments at the LHC.
2. Abe, K., … G. N. Taylor, et al., [Belle Collaboratio], ‘Observation of Large CP Violation in the Neutral B Meson System’, Physical Review Letters, 87, (2001) 091802 [Link]
- first measurement of this key process with strong implications for understanding the matter-antimatter asymmetry of the Universe.
3. K. Ikado … G. N. Taylor, et al., [Belle Collaboration], “Evidence of the purely leptonic decay B- → τ-V‾τ” Phys. Rev. Lett. 97 (2006) 251802. [Link]
- A precise measurement of this simplest of decay modes of the B-meson is an important contribution to SM measurements and searches for physics beyond the SM.
4. Ashman, J., …G. N. Taylor, et al., [EMC Collaboration] - "A measurement of the spin asymmetry and determination of the structure function g1 in deep inelastic muon-proton scattering" Phys. Lett. 206B: pp. 364 - 370 (1988). [Link]
- This was the first report of “missing’ spin-angular momentum in the constituent quarks in the nucleon and led to a multi-year, international effort to understand the angular momentum distribution in the nucleon.
5. Aad, G. … G. N. Taylor, et al [ATLAS Collabration], "The ATLAS Experiment at the CERN Large Hadron Collider" JINST 3:S08003, 2008. [Link]
- represents the enormous efforts put into the development, construction, installation and preparation for operation by the ATLAS collaboration. My group played a significant role in this effort. Evidence for the position we have developed within ATLAS, a position that sits at the heart of the current proposal.
6. Z. Natkaniec, H. Aihara, Y. Asano, T. Aso, A. Bakich, T. Browder, M. C. Chang and Y. Chao et al. , “Status of the Belle silicon vertex detector” Nucl. Instrum. Meth. A 560 (2006) 1. [Link]
- One of several reports on the design and operation of the high-performance Belle SVD detector in which the Melbourne group, under direction of the candidate, played such a major role.